吉娜: 嗨,老板。你说要见我?
Vince: Zina. Look, I know when I hired you, I told you I'd pay you a salary. But I just can't.
文斯: 吉娜。听着,我知道当我雇用你之时,我说过会付你薪水。可是我没办法。
Zina: Excuse me? I hope I didn't just hear what I think I just heard.
吉娜: 你说什么?我希望我不是真的听到我以为我听到的。
Vince: I know it's awkward, but you're going to be thanking me later. I'm going to make you rich.
文斯: 我知道这说来尴尬,不过你以后会感谢我的。我会让你发财。
Zina: You're going to make me rich by not paying me?
吉娜: 你要用不给我薪水的方法让我发财?
n.
租用; 雇用
租金; 酬金; 工钱
be in the hire of sb.
受雇于某人
fight [work] for hire
当雇佣兵[雇工]
This car is for hire.
这辆车是出租的。
习惯用语
hire out 租出去 (=hire oneself out)受雇
on hire 出租
for hire 出租
awkward
adj.
(手脚)不灵巧的;不熟练的
(动作或表情)笨拙的; 难看的; 粗野的
不协调的
没有风度的
不好使用的; 使人感到麻烦的; 难应付的, 棘手的
困难的, 危险的
an awkward staircase
上下不方便的楼梯
awkward time
不方便的时间
an awkward customer
[口]难对付的家伙, 危险的人[动]物
an awkward question
棘手问题
in an awkward situation
处境困难
an awkward remark
不得体的话
awkward age
不成熟的年纪
The child is still awkward with his chopsticks.
那小孩还不太会用筷子。
吉娜: 我可不便宜。
Vince: I'm prepared to increase your stake to three percent.
文斯: 我准备把你的股份增加至百分之三。
Zina: I've sold more subscriptions to InfoKing in one week than you expected me to sell in a month.
吉娜: 我一星期内所卖出资讯王的订阅数,就比你期望的月业绩要高了。
Vince: I know you're good, Zina. You know how much three percent could be worth, don't you?
文斯: 我知道你很厉害,吉娜。你知道百分之三值多少钱,对吧?
Zina: Vince, I'm better than good. I'm the best. I want four percent.
吉娜: 文斯,我比厉害还要厉害。我是最棒的。我要百分之四。
Vince: Three-and-a-half.
文斯: 百分之三点五。
Zina: Done.
吉娜: 成交。
n.
签署; 赞助
签名; 有签名的文件
预订, 订阅; 预定费; 订阅费
认捐(额); 认缴(额)
(医生处方下端的)调剂附注
invite subscription for a loan
申请批准放款
open [close] the subscription lists
开始[截止]募捐[预订]
renew one's subscription to China Daily
续订《中国日报》
solicit subscriptions
募捐
subscription blank
【商】认股单
吉娜: 戴夫,醒醒。
Dave: Whaah? Zina? What time is it?
戴夫: 啊?吉娜?现在几点了?
Zina: It's seven-thirty. I want to know who left this note on my desk.
吉娜: 七点半。我要知道是谁在我桌上留了这张纸条。
Dave: What note? I can't see. I just pulled an all-nighter.
戴夫: 什么纸条?我看不到。我开了一整晚夜车。
Zina: It's a little green post-it note, stuck right in the middle of my computer screen.
吉娜: 是小张的绿色便利贴,就粘在我电脑屏幕的中间。
Dave: And? What does it say? Isn't there a name?
戴夫: 然后呢?上面写着什么?没有名字吗?
Zina: It says, "Zina, I like how you rhumba. An admirer."
吉娜: 上面写着:“吉娜,我喜欢你跳伦巴的样子。仰慕者。”
2) pull an all-nighter 开夜车,熬夜
3) post-it note 可贴的便条纸,系3M公司出品的办公用具,现已成为同类产品的代名词。
4) stick (v.) 粘贴
5) rhumba (n.) 伦巴舞
6) admirer (n.) 仰慕者,secret admirer 是“暗恋者”。
Dave: Whoa. Now I'm awake! Zina has a secret admirer.
戴夫: 哇。这会我可醒了!吉娜有暗恋者了。
Zina: I really do not have time to deal with some lovesick computer geek.
吉娜: 我真的没时间去应付爱昏了头的电脑怪胎。
Dave: I know what you mean. I can't stand computer geeks.
戴夫: 我知道你的意思。我也受不了电脑怪胎。
Zina: Sorry, Dave, I didn't mean you. I am just not in the mood for this. I have work to do.
吉娜: 抱歉,戴夫,我不是说你。我只是没心情搞这玩意儿。我还有工作要做。
Dave: Who do you think it is?
戴夫: 你觉得是谁?
Vince: Hey, Zina. You're here early today.
文斯: 嗨,吉娜,你今天早来了。
Zina: Yeah, I'm going to be making phone calls all day. What a blast.
吉娜: 对啊,我今天要打一整天的电话。真够好玩的。
Vince: I just wanted to say thanks for putting us on the map so fast. I appreciate it.
文斯: 我只是想谢谢你那么快就让我们站上柜面了。我很感激。
Zina: Save it, Vince. After I put my first million in the bank, I'll say you're welcome.
吉娜: 省省吧,文斯。等我在银行存了第一个一百万,我会跟你说不客气的。
Vince: Fair enough. Keep up the good work.
文斯: 很公平。再接再励。
A:I wasn't drinking, officer; I just didn't see the red light.
警官,我没有喝酒;我只是没看到红灯。
B:Save it for the judge.
这些话你留着去跟法官说吧。
A:I love this movie! I want to watch it, too.
我好爱这部电影!我也要去看。
B:OK. I'll save it for tonight when you get home from work.
好。我就把这部电影留到今晚,等你下班回家一起看。
1) blast (n.) 尽兴,玩得愉快
2) appreciate (v.) 感激
3) Keep up the good work. 再接再励
戴夫:嘿,吉娜。你不该故意对文斯那么凶巴巴的。万一他就是你那伦巴男孩呢?
Zina: Please. He's only nice to me because I'm making him a ton of money.
吉娜:拜托喔。他对我好只是因为我在帮他赚大钱。
Dave: He was definitely happy. You must be making a lot of sales.
戴夫:他真是高兴得很。你一定做成了很多买卖。
Zina: It isn't hard. All the online businesses need a way to keep track of the traffic to their sites.
吉娜:这不难。所有的线上商务都需要设法掌握他们网站的流量。
Dave: That's InfoKing. Tracks every visitor. Or at least it will, if we can get it to work.
戴夫:这就是资讯王。掌握每一位访客。或者至少以后会是这样,若我们能让做出来的东西管用。





